Friday, October 24, 2008

It is a great feeling as a parent to be humbled by your own child.
E1 has been training hard with the swim team since mid-September. They lift weights each morning at six for an hour and then swim for two hours after school.
She gets herself up each morning and has arranged her own ride to the school.
She rushes home at 7, eats, changes, and is back out the door to catch the bus to school at 7:20. She is home long enough after school to grab her bag and ride to the pool.
I am just so proud of her. It also hurts me. I can see how tired she is. She has sore muscles. It has been hard to juggle practice with her school work. She has lost weight (or maybe just toned up even more than she already was). Her skin is already just destroyed and we have had to start using special cremes to counteract the chemicals. She always has a clean chlorine smell to her. She has worked so hard. I just love this girl.


Her first meet was Tuesday. We swam against Juan Diego and they absolutely destroyed us. But I have to brag that E1 set a new Richfield High School speed record in the 100 yard breast stroke.
The record has been held since 2002 and E1broke it by two seconds.
In her first meet of her freshman year.
What a girl.

I know hard work does not always get rewarded in such a big way, but what a great thing for her to have happen. I would be proud of her even without records and ribbons. But it was such a glorious moment for my little baby dolphin who is now a Richfield Wildcat.

No comments: